tiistai 16. syyskuuta 2014




Lorne Resource Centre, Oban, Scotland

I had my first day with Working Abroad-project today. I will be spending 10 days working in Oban Scotland at Lorne Resource Centre. The Centre offers daily activities for learning disabled.  In my home town Turku I have had many students taking training periods at different day centres, so it will be really interesting to see that what are the similarities and differences in the both countries systems.

In the morning I was welcomed by Jim Thorpe and he took me around the Centre and introduced me to other workers. I had talked and e-mailed with Jim quite a few times so it was great to finally meet him. The Centre has a lot of different rooms for different activies: dining area/ common room, handicrafts room, computer room, a quiet room (we call it the white room) and a music/drama room.

In the morning I got to join the staff meeting. Everyone was really friendly. Today the goal was to join a few clients to go to hydrotherapy in Fort William. Hydrotherapy was a new concept for me. Basically the therapy is a a form of excercise carried out in a specially heated pool (water +33°C). The water offers relaxation and also opportunity for fitness exercises.  It was really interesting to join this. Hopefully I get to join them next week too.

-Elina


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti